The four main functions of the video journalist position are producer, reporter, video operator and video editor.
- As a producer, you will develop and plan a live or taped video segment. This can include setting up interviews, determining where a segment is to be shot or selecting the different shots to be used.
- As a reporter, you will compile data from various sources, investigate, analyze and write your stories, editing as needed. In essence, you will combine the duties with that of a news writer, deciding what particular slant a story will take.
- As a cameramen, you will operate your own camera/device.
- Due to the nature of the job and being on location, both in front of the camera and operating it, you will need to take the footage you’ve acquired and create news segments suitable for online broadcasting. This requires you to have knowledge of video editing equipment.
- You must also be able to compile video stories using still imagery, cartoons, infographics to get your story across and captivate your audience.
- Produce, shoot and edit original footage using a range of devices, including Sony XD-CAM camcorders, GoPros and cell phones.
- Edit footage quickly and present it on multiple online platforms.
- Write articles to accompany video footage.
- Writing, editing and processing content in line with the publication’s style.
- Uploading and editing relevant photos and videos.
- Promotion of own content on social media platforms in line with the company’s digital strategy.
- Work with the various editorial teams to ensure lively, interesting pieces.