Amazon is looking for an energetic, detail-orientated individual to join our Data Center Operations (DCO) team in Cape Town, South Africa on a six month Internship Program.
This role is a unique opportunity to work in some of the most cutting edge data centers in the world. Amazon data centers are large-scale high-density centers where you will be working on changing the face of Cloud technology in the region.
A Data Center Technician will work as part of the Operations team whose primary responsibility is the maintenance and upkeep of the data center infrastructure. The candidate may be the primary point of contact for both internal customers (for example: Network Engineers, Systems Engineers, Software Developers, Database Engineers, Technical Operations) and external customers (Hardware Vendors, Contractors, Service Providers among others). The position is full time and shift based, operating on a 24*7 rotation. The ideal candidate is someone with hands-on hardware experience.
• Work and meet SLA’s against assigned trouble tickets via a directed workflow
• First line touch point for hardware troubleshooting and technical issues
• Perform regular server hardware repairs(drives, motherboards etc)
• Carry out routine network, server hardware and OS related repairs
• Work with cross-functional teams on a regular basis to complete routine work
• Engage with Smart Hands in EU Regional POPs
• Adhere to security and safety best practices in the data center
• Participate in Data Center power & cooling events
• Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and daily/weekly goals achievement
• Identify and help create documentation for use globally
• Identify and help create process improvements relevant to the data center environment
• Perform server upgrades, rebuilds, scheduled works as required
• Interact with third party vendors & contractors
• Contribute to the development of other team members