Menswear Designer – Reporting to the Menswear Buyer
The purpose of this role will be to assist and work closely with the Menswear Buyer to create and execute an original range of Menswear apparel for a well-known lifestyle brand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist and support with range design and conceptualisation:
- Assist and support with setting the creative vision seasonally, through visual and digital presentations.
- Assist with and support the design process from conception to final styling.
- Assist and support the product design process to include market research, conceptual presentation, design and guidance through fabric, print, spec and fit processes.
- Responsible for researching markets in order to identify new trend, fabrics and techniques
- Actively participate in the conceptual development of product lines.
- Provides recommendations regarding seasonal themes, edits and new concepts by way of research via WGSN or alternative online research.
- Recommends product/key items that demonstrate a clear point of view.
- Provides insight regarding style and fit of product to the design and buying team.
- Ensures that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy.
- Provides recommendation regarding colourways on stripes, checks and prints.
- Responsible for trim selection and application onto product.
- Researching local and international fashion trends considering how these can be included in the range.
- Works in conjunction with Buyer to finalise styles and prints for the deliveries within each range.
- Creates story boards to display deliveries per month.
- Creates and submits handovers to licensor for approval.
- Assist Buyer with marketing direction and strategy.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of design, merchandising, and product development priorities.
- Sample Production:
- Produce and brief detailed tech packs that translate vision for each product to supplier ensuring prototype is made to required specifications.
- Responsible for understanding the impact of the decisions on timelines and margins.
- Assist Buyer in signing of lab dips and trims.
- Range Presentation:
- Assist Buying team in preparation for range presentation to management and agents.
- Ensure all storyboards are updated and ready for range launch to agents and/or management and licensor.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Essential: Matric qualification
- Desirable: A relevant Fashion Design related Diploma/Degree
- Essential: Minimum 2 years’ experience, in a similar role, in a fashion or retail environment
- Planning and organising
- Delivering results and meeting expectations
- Following instructions and procedures
- Adapting and responding to change
- Coping with pressures and setback
Skills and Abilities
- Computer literacy, i.e. MS Office, Adobe Illustrator (CAD), etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Meticulous with a strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Time management skills to meet all administrative deadlines
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of wholesale/retail environment and admin processes involved